Friday, May 6, 2011

Experiences Vs Identity

I have been to Disneyland, I have been to Brazil, I have been in a blizzard, I have seen a tornado. I have been underwater and I have flown in the sky. I have been a paid actor, I have swung on a trapeze, I have been in love, I have suffered from a broken heart, I have lived with many others, I have lived on my own. Of all of these things that I have done, have seen or have lived through, none of these things defines, explains or even scratches the surface of who I am.

There is a difference between who you are and the experiences you have.
In the midst of beauty or even in the midst of conditions you don't like, there is a difference between who you are and the experiences you have. Your experiences are real; with lessons and tools to discover who you are, but the experiences is not who you are.
Who you are is who you add to "I am".

  • I am sick.
  • I am lonely.
  • I am tired.
I'll stop there on the negatives because I now have a list of things to cancel erase. Whatever you add to "I am" is who you are. The unconscious mind takes everything literally and personally. It is constantly eves dropping on what you say. One of my favourite sayings is this: The most important words you will ever utter are those you say to yourself, about yourself when you are by yourself.
  • I am courageous.
  • I am happy.
  • I am ambitious.
  • I am a good business person.
These are some of my personal "I am" statements. What are some of yours?
What does this tell your unconscious mind:
  • I am a fighter.
It tells your unconscious mind - "I win fights and to be someone, to be me I need to be in fights to win fights". It tells the unconscious mind "I need to be on guard with my sword and shield at all times, be prepared for a fight".
I'm am always amazed (although maybe I shouldn't be) at how many people tell me this, I am a fighter, and they wonder why their world is full of fighting - struggles at the office, discord in relationships, challenges with money. It can simply be because they are a fighter.
Now that I have one more thing to cancel erase, I'd better hurry up and finish this. I invite you to start listening more to your inner thoughts. Especially your "I am" statements. If you hear yourself telling yourself an undesired identity, cancel erase it. Simply say (or think) Cancel Erase and replace it with what you want. Here's how it goes:
  1. Thought: I am a fighter.
  2. Next thought: Cancel erase; I win in life easily and effortlessly.
The last thing you give to the unconscious mind is the thing that stays. Share with us, what are some of your "I am" statements?

Article Source: http://EzineArticles.com/6212144

0 comments:

Post a Comment